Saturday, September 20, 2014

Review: Think Geek Laser Scissors

At the wedding my husband and I received a pair of the think geek laser scissors. I was excited, very excited. I had wanted a pair of these for a good long while. He was meh about it.



When I finally cycled back into sewing I was a bit disappointed in theses. However lets do the good first.

These are light weight. Easy to handle. The grip is nice for both left and right hands (a problem I have since I'm left handed but hate lefty scissors). And the laser is really helpful in making straighter lines. Overall, I'll probably use these a lot.

However there are some bad issues, especially in the areas of using these for sewing.

The biggest problem is that the blade has a weird serration on it which I assume is their attempt at trying to do something like pinking shears, but it really doesn't work well. This causes it to chew threw fabric like a deranged T-Rex, versus a clean cut if. Especially if you're cutting anything more than two pieces of cloth. Add to that the blades being of what i assume is tin, aluminum, or some soft metal, then sharpening these is going to be a problem. However, if you can get them sharpened go for it. This serration is only on one blade, so I think adjusting that might make these awesome.


Don't get me wrong I'll keep using these for a long time, especially for that guiding light. it makes my messy lines so much nicer. And that is probably where all the design wen't into these thing. Honestly I wouldn't buy another pair again unless that serration is gone and the blades get better.

EDIT: As of 11/7/14 I've discovered these scissors are great for chewingthrough felt, fleece, and any of the heavier materials. While they eat up the softer/thinner materials and are not good for those they are amazing cutters for the thicker stuff.
Feel free to ask questions, leave comments, etc. I"m always up for a chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment