Friday, March 14, 2014

Natural One head gear

This weeks project might take up a few posts. As I've mentioned before I play in a LARP game called Dystopia Rising.

Check it out, it's a good game. http://www.dystopiarisinglarp.com/

A friend of mine and I decided that we wanted to play a different character recently. We settled on Natural Ones. They are a kind of primitive people that have survived by going back to the basics in the broken world. We chose to design a pair of sisters from the Crow clan. What I am designing is our headgear which are short antlers I'll be dangling things off of.

What you'll need for this is:

Tin Foil
Wire
Fimo clay in three different colors of browns, tans, and some whites.
Here I'm using brown, tan, and caramel
Elastic, and a strip of think leather or fabric to hold the weight on the horns.

I first formed the insides. I wanted these light so I made the insides out of tin foil.
 You can see the basic deer antler form here. Tinfoil forming is never pretty. Just do it!



Here I got a bit lax on my photos sorry. I tend to forget photos when I'm working with clay. as you can see these have been mixed and wrapped around the tin foil forms giving it a bit more of an antler form. I'm not very happy with my clay mixing here but it'll do. worse comes to worse I can always spray paint it. I made two pairs, one big one small.

From the shine you can see if glazed these too. I used Sculpy gloss glaze mostly because it air dries and I didn't have any matte glaze left.

The next part of this head gear is to drill the holes near the base and add on the strap to hold these on the head. I'll be doing a separate post for the strap because it'll have some designs to it.

Feel free to ask questions, leave comments, etc. I"m always up for a chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment